Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring a researcher focused on advocacy and investigations to join our small team.
Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. We use research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. This entails detailed investigations that lead to domestic and international litigation. A key component of our work is the accompanying advocacy campaigns to raise public awareness about these cases using various media platforms.
While we are presently focused on apartheid-era economic crimes we are also engaged in other investigations into both past and present economic crimes and related human rights violations, primarily focused on the private sector. Open Secrets is also a co-organiser of the civil society led People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime that has proven to be a powerful advocacy tool against impunity and towards accountability.
See More At:
www.opensecrets.org.za (new website launching July 2018)
- Undertake detailed, evidence-based investigations into economic crime in Southern Africa that have resulted in human rights violations.
- Produce reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms.
- Work closely with partners in civil society.
- Assist in managing Open Secrets social media platforms and communications.
- Assist in conceptualising and organsing events.
The position is available from 1 August 2018 for an initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal).
The Ideal Candidate:
- Strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who consistently values collaboration.
- Some experience within a social justice organisation in the non-profit sector.
- Studies in a related field such as law, politics, history, economics preferable. A relevant postgraduate degree would be preferred.
- Demonstrated work experience of at least two to three years.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.) and social media savvy.
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Open Secrets offices are based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Submit a resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least two referees, by Thursday 05 July 2018.
Please address your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.