Opportunity – Legal Intern
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring a legal intern to join our small dedicated team based in Cape Town.
Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and its impact on human rights, with a focus on the financial sector in southern Africa. We use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold those people and institutions, who commit these human rights violations, to account.
The position of legal intern is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Contract Period: Starting February/March 2020 for a six-month contract period based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Remuneration: R10,000.00 per month.
• Assist with researching particular aspects of the law, assisting with developing legal strategies based on research, assisting with drafting letters and other documents.
• From this legal research, summarise research findings and draft internal legal opinions and memorandums.
• Help with drafting reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms. Possibly assisting with drafting for legal journals.
• Contribute to other Open Secrets work areas as needed
• General administrative and logistical support as needed.
• Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful and able to manage deadlines), integrity and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
• A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration.
• LLB and post-graduate studies in law (LLM or MPhil or higher degree), preferably with a focus on the intersection between corporate/commercial law and human rights.
• Strong research, writing and organisational skills.
• Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Familiar and comfortable with using legal research tools such as LexisNexis, etc.
• Able to work through an intersectional lens.
• Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees, by 1pm, 31 January 2020.
The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.