Researcher- Investigations and Advocacy
Open Secrets is hiring an experienced researcher to join our small, dedicated Cape Town-based team. This is an opportunity to contribute to investigations that uncover networks of private corporations and their allies profiting from economic crime and human rights abuses. We use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
• Undertake detailed, evidence-based investigations into economic crimes that have resulted in human rights violations.
• Produce investigative reports as well as articles for our website and social media platforms. You will need to write well, dig down into detail and engage in investigative research that at times is risky, but always serves the public interest.
• Contribute to our advocacy efforts in getting the message out and collaborate closely with our legal team in developing a legal strategy to hold corrupt institutions and individuals to account.
• Collaboration is key, and we expect you to work closely with our team as well as our civil society partners in South Africa and other countries.
Starting November 2020 for an initial one-year contract period (prospects for renewal).
• Strong work ethic, a focus on detail, exemplary integrity and a commitment to social justice.
• A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration and has an aversion to office politics. If you want to change the way the world works, you’ll fit right in.
• At least five years’ work experience in investigative research (preferably in the non-profit sector – but we will consider all good people who share our values).
• Postgraduate studies in a related field such as law, politics, history, or economics preferable.
• Strong research and writing (English) and command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Eligible to work in South Africa.
The Open Secrets team is working remotely for the rest of 2020. However, this is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a recent unedited writing sample, and contact details of at least three referees, by 5pm on Monday 12 October 2020. The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for. Please send your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.