We are hiring! Open Secrets – Legal Intern
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency? Are you keen to work with a small team of investigators and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring a Legal Intern. This is an opportunity to contribute to efforts to hold corporations and individuals profiting from economic crime to account, use the law to challenge private sector impunity, and seek redress for the victims of human rights abuses linked to economic crime and ultimately create a more just society. We’re a small team that works closely together, values sharing thoughts and ideas, and is committed to equality and solidarity.
At Open Secrets we use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. See more at:
www.opensecrets.org.za | Twitter: @OpenSecretsZA | LinkedIn: Open Secrets ZA
• Assist with researching aspects of the law and assisting with developing legal strategies based on research, summarise research findings and draft internal legal opinions and
• Assisting with drafting letters and other documents.
• Help with drafting reports and related occasional articles for our website, social media platforms, and legal journals.
• Collaborate across Open Secrets work areas as needed, including advocacy and general administrative and logistical support as needed.
• Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful, and able to manage deadlines), integrity and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as being a committed team player; with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration.
• LLB and preferably a post-graduate studies in law (LLM or MPhil or higher degree – either completed or completing), with interests that include issues such as corporate/commercial law and human rights.
• Strong research, writing and organisational skills. Attention to detail.
• Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Familiar and comfortable with using legal research tools, such as LexisNexis.
• Able to work through an intersectional lens.
• Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Eligible to work in South Africa.
Contract Period: Starting November 2021 for a six-month – twelve-month contract period (nonrenewable). Remuneration: R15,000.00 per month.
These are envisaged as full-time positions based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town. The Open Secrets team is working a mix of in-office and remotely for the foreseeable future.