We are hiring! Open Secrets – Lawyer
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency? Are you keen to work with a small team of investigators and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring a Lawyer. This is an opportunity to contribute to efforts to hold corporations and individuals profiting from economic crime to account, use the law to challenge private sector impunity, and seek redress for the victims of human rights abuses linked to economic crime and ultimately create a more just society. We’re a small team that works closely together, values sharing thoughts and ideas, and is committed to equality and solidarity.
At Open Secrets we use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. See more at:
www.opensecrets.org.za | Twitter: @OpenSecretsZA | LinkedIn: Open Secrets ZA
• Work with a small team of lawyers in using the law, including litigation, to hold corporations, individuals and state institutions implicated in economic crimes to account.
• Work closely with our investigations team in developing legal strategies to build accountability for economic crime and contribute to advocacy efforts.
• Work closely with civil society partners to hold parties implicated in corruption from apartheid to contemporary state capture to account. This includes People’s Hearings, strategic litigation and the Civil Society Working Group on State Capture.
• Draft legal papers and opinions.
• Liaise with counsel.
• Strong work ethic, attention to detail, exemplary integrity, and a commitment to social justice.
• A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration and has an aversion to office politics. If you want to challenge and change the way the world works, you’ll fit right in.
• An admitted or soon to be admitted attorney with 2-3 years’ work experience, preferably in the social justice sector. Candidates with a relevant Master’s degree or equivalent work experience would be preferred.
• Has the ability to see a matter through from building a case to judgment.
• A passion for learning and sharing skills and knowledge.
• Resourceful and able to think creatively. Ability to work through an intersectional lens.
• Strong research and writing (English) skills and command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Eligible to work in South Africa.
Contract Period: Starting January 2022 (or sooner) for an initial one-year contract period (strong prospects for renewal).
These are envisaged as full-time positions based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town. The Open Secrets team is working a mix of in-office and remotely for the foreseeable future.