We are hiring! Open Secrets – Communications & Collaboration Intern (1 position)
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency? Are you keen to work with a small team of investigators and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring an outstanding candidate (Communication & Collaboration intern) to join our small, dedicated team based in Cape Town. Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and its impact on human rights. We use investigative research, advocacy, and the law to hold private corporations and individuals who commit these human rights violations, to account.
At Open Secrets we use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. See more at:
www.opensecrets.org.za | Twitter: @OpenSecretsZA | LinkedIn: Open Secrets ZA
Contract Period: Starting January 2021 for a 6 to 12 month contract period (nonrenewable).
Remuneration: R15,000.00 per month.
These are envisaged as full-time positions based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town. The Open Secrets team is working a mix of in-office and remotely for the foreseeable future.
• Assist in managing Open Secrets’ social media.
• Create high-quality multi-media content (including factsheets, podcasts and explainer videos) for Open Secrets’ social media platforms.
• Assist in organising Open Secrets in-person and online events, including a People’s Hearing on Economic Crime.
• Collaborate with our partners in civil society, including assisting in coordinating the Civil Society Working Group on State Capture.
• Contribute to Open Secrets’ profile series, Unaccountable.
• Assist in drafting Open Secrets’ newsletter.
• Strong work ethic (thorough, thoughtful and able to manage deadlines), integrity and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
• A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration.
• Ongoing or completed postgraduate studies in a related field (politics, history, arts, economics, journalism, etc.).
• Experience in producing video and audio content.
• Strong command of basic Microsoft Office Suite programmes (Word, Excel, etc.), Canva, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress and MailChimp.
• Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Eligible to work in South Africa.