Open Secrets is hiring an experienced researcher to join our small, dedicated Cape Town-based team. This is an opportunity to contribute to investigations that uncover networks of private corporations and their allies profiting from economic crime and human rights abuses. At Open Secrets we use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. See more at: www.opensecrets.org.za | Twitter: @OpenSecretsZA | LinkedIn: Open Secrets ZA
- Undertake detailed, evidence-based investigations into economic crimes (including state capture) that have resulted in human rights violations.
- Produce investigative reports as well as articles for our website and social media platforms. You will need to write well, dig down into detail and engage in investigative research that at times is risky, but always serves the public interest.
- Contribute to our advocacy efforts in getting the message out and collaborate closely with our legal team in developing a legal strategy to hold corrupt institutions and individuals to account.
- Collaboration is key, and we expect you to work closely with our team as well as our civil society partners in South Africa and other countries.
Starting April/May 2021 for an initial one-year contract period (prospects)
- Strong work ethic, a focus on detail, exemplary integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration and has an aversion to office politics. If you want to change the way the world works, you’ll fit right in.
- At least five years’ work experience in investigative research (preferably in the non-profit sector – but we will consider all good people who share our values).
- Postgraduate studies in a related field such social sciences, economics or law preferable.
- Strong research and writing (English) and command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible to work in South Africa.
This is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town. The Open Secrets team is working a mix of in-office and remotely for the foreseeable future.
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a recent unedited writing sample, and contact details of at least three referees, by 5pm on Monday 29 March 2021. The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.