Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring a researcher to join our small team.
Open Secrets is a newly established non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights, with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. A major recent investigation focussed on apartheid era economic crime.
We use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account. Some of the activities we are engaged in include co-organising a People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime as well as legal efforts to hold powerful corporate and public players to account for economic crimes.
- Undertake detailed, evidence based research on economic crime in South Africa that have resulted in human rights violations.
- Produce reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms.
- Work closely with partners in civil society.
- Assist in managing Open Secrets media platforms and communications.
- Assist in conceptualising and organizing events
The position is available from January 2018 for an initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal).
The ideal candidate:
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to social justice issues and integrity.
- A committed team player, with a sharp inquisitive mind, who consistently values collaboration above office politics.
- Studies in a related field such as law, politics, history, economics preferable. A relevant postgraduate degree would be preferred.
- Demonstrated work experience of at least two-three years.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.) and social media savvy.
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Open Secrets offices are based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Submit a resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees, by Monday 27 November 2017.
Please address your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.