Opportunity – Legal Researchers
Open Secrets (Cape Town)
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring two legal researchers to join our small dedicated team based in Cape Town. Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. We use research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
See more at:
- Work closely with a team of investigators undertaking research on historic and contemporary economic crime and related human rights violations in Southern Africa. Undertake legal research, legal drafting and assist in formulating our legal strategy.
- Work closely with civil society partners to hold parties implicated in corruption from apartheid to contemporary state capture to account. This includes the People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime, strategic litigation and the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture.
- Liaison with our lawyers and counsel on cases.
- Assist in advocacy and media in support of our work.
- Write reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms.
Starting January 2019 for an initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal).
- Strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration.
- A qualified attorney and/or someone with a postgraduate qualification in law. Candidates with a relevant Master’s degree would be preferred.
- Two/three years’ work experience, preferably including in the social justice sector.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees, by Monday 26 November 2018 (10am).
The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.