Opportunity – Internship (advocacy and communications)
Open Secrets (Cape Town)
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?
Open Secrets is hiring an advocacy and communications intern to join our small dedicated team based in Cape Town.
Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. We use research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
See more at: www.opensecrets.org.za
- Assist in managing advocacy and media (including social media) around Open Secrets’ investigations and litigation. Collaborate with our partners in civil society.
- Undertake research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa. Read, summarise and archive research material.
- Write reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms.
- General administrative and logistical support.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration.
- Studies in a related field (law, politics, history, economics, journalism, communications etc.) are preferable.
- Strong research, writing and organisational skills.
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town
Contract Period: Starting January 2019 for a nine-month contract period based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town
Remuneration: R9,500.00 – per month
Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees, by Monday 26 November 2018 (10am).
The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.